- July 7, 2020
- Posted by: hpiadmin
- Categories: Culture, Power Ideas, Teams
Team Building is a Matter of Culture
Plant what you want to reap.
Company culture results from the organic material you plant.
What attitude do you want to have in your company? Collaboration? Results-driven? People first? Strong work ethic? Accountability? Inclusion/diversity? Innovative?
Who doesn’t want all of these things?
Like most things in life, it helps if you have a clear vision and a game plan to get what you want. You’ll need to be the example.
How? Use this path to have a healthy company culture that retains happy employees.
- Take the 30,000’ view of your company.
- Determine your end results.
- Ask for feedback.
- Listen and echo to be sure you understood.
- Get buy-in.
- Be clear and consistent in your messaging and directions.
- Set metrics and deadlines. Review them weekly or monthly or quarterly to ensure progress.
- Check in with team members to ensure compliance.
- Celebrate along the way. Acknowledge contributions.
Here’s how to foster a miserable company culture that fails at every turn:
- Set unilateral goals that no one understands.
- Change your mind often.
- Keep secrets.
- Play favorites. Have an office affair.
- Avoid crucial conversations.
- Allow others to set the tone.
- Don’t discipline when needed.
- Call people out in front of others.
- Brush off people’s ideas and suggestions.
- Don’t share the company’s results.
- Don’t share the company’s success.
Company culture is a direct result of your vision, values, planning, adult interactions, consensus and follow through… every day. Coaching can help you get your team aligned for success. Invest in your future. Invest in yourself. Invest in your people.