- February 6, 2023
- Posted by: hpiadmin
- Categories: Continuous Learning, Leadership, Monday Message
Monday Message from Jerry Houston, Chairman of HPISolutions
Over the past few weeks, I have been writing about the ideas of Leadership and Continuous Learning. Why do I keep harping on these two concepts, you ask? I’ll tell you why. They are indispensable.
After 56 years in the business world, with 30 of those years in Leadership Development, I have discovered that Great Leaders become Great because they never stop learning. I think you will all agree that being an effective leader is not easy. There are loads of Managers in the world but very few, True Leaders. I don’t know about you, but I am convinced that the way to Great Leadership is by learning from those who have come before us. Studying the great leaders of the past and present teach us many valuable lessons… if we are willing to learn them.
Here are some examples:
- If you lead and no one is willing to follow, you are really walking alone – (unknown)
- The true sign of a great leader is humility and will – Steven Collins
- Listen 80% of the time and talk 20% of the time – (unknown)
- Never Give Up, Never Give Up, Never Give Up! – Winston Churchill
- Understand Your Why – Simon Sinek
- There is no security on this earth; there is only opportunity – Douglas MacArthur
- Seek first to understand and then be understood – Stephen Covey
- Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway – John Wayne
- Believe first in Mutual Benefit, Respect and Trust – Jerry Houston
I could go on for days! What is important is that you keep your mind open to possibilities and believe that there is a solution to every challenge. Resiliency is an absolute characteristic of Great Leaders. A willingness to change and grow is a constant process and is necessary for long-term sustainability.
And, finally, remember that Knowledge is NOT Power…APPLIED Knowledge is Power.
Have a Great Week!